Friday 8 July 2011

Cat eye glasses: Is there anything more 50's?



  When I bought a pair of white ones a few years ago and wore them, some of my friends laughed at me. Now that all coming back to the retro style (something that I am not so keen on.. :-/), half of them are looking for a pair of them. I believe they are very stylish and definately super-representative of the fabulous decade! I will always wear them, no matter what;-)




  Cat-eye glasses are a form of eyewear mainly for women. They are thick-rimmed glasses with the arms of the glasses joining the lenses at the very top corners. They were mainly popular in the 1950s and 1960s among fashionable women.





  Notable wearers of cat eye glasses were: Marilyn Monroe, Barbara Windsor, Dinah Manoff, Mary Whitehouse, Amy Lame, and Barry Humphries as Dame Edna Everage, amongst others. Audrey Hepburn's use of them in the 1961 film Breakfast at Tiffany's was notable.





No comments:

Post a Comment